Register Now for 2013–2014 Poetry Out Loud
Poetry Out Loud, the National Endowment for the Arts, Minnesota State Arts Board, and the Poetry Foundation
Poetry Out Loud is a program that brings students across the country together through poetry, learning, and engagement.
The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation cosponsor the program and contest. In local settings, schools host their own contests. Winners move on to regional and state contests, and the winners from each state travel with a guardian to Washington, DC, for the national event.
Minnesota's Poetry Out Loud state-wide recitation competition is made possible in part by dollars awarded from the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation form the Minnesota State Legislature and a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. Additional support for metro public library participation is funded with money from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through an appropriation to MELSA.
Minnesota 2012-2013 Poetry Out Loud Champions
On March 18, 2013, thirty students from high schools across the state competed for the title of Minnesota Poetry Out Loud state champion at the Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Yemi Ajagbe of Woodbury High School (Woodbury), was named the winner with her recitation of Give All to Love, by Ralph Waldo Emerson, I Am the People, the Mob, by Carl Sandburg, and Cartoon Physics, part 1, by Nick Flynn.
Ajagbe represented Minnesota at the national finals in Washington, DC, on April 28-30, 2013, competing with other champions from all fifty states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. She was one of nine finalists at the nationals.
Other Minnesota Champions
- Runner-up: Faiza Mohamed Abubakar—Ubah Medical Academy, Hopkins
- 3rd Place: Joseph-Charles Peeples—Hampton-Main Street School of Performing Arts, Hopkins
- 4th Place: Arye Lovestrand—Arcadia Charter School, Northfield
- 5th Place: Xavier Byrd—Gordon Parks High School, Saint Paul
- 6th Place: Corrina Mussehl—Rogers High School, Rogers
Other State Finalists
- Angela Burgess—Clearbrook-Gonvick High School, Clearbrook
- Eric Dewitte—Marshall School, Duluth
- Jennifer Kim—Century High School, Rochester
- Christine Menge—Blaine High School, Blaine
- Hori Mohamud—Lincoln International High School, Minneapolis
- Chelsie Othoudt—Milaca High School, Milaca
Minnesota Poetry Out Loud highlights from previous years