This pilot program supports activities that share, explore, pass on, express, or celebrate culture through the arts. Culture may be defined by a common ethnicity, tribal affiliation, geographic or regional identity, occupation, language, or recreation. Traditional and contemporary forms of cultural expression may be funded in this program. Funds could be used to support practicing a cultural art form; presenting cultural festivals, community celebrations, performances, media or exhibitions; offering demonstrations, etc. Funds could also be used to deepen or pass on cultural traditions through apprenticeships or documentation.
Program overview and application instructions
FY 2024 Cultural Expression Program Overview and Application Instructions—This document will be posted approximately eight weeks before the application deadline.
June 16, 2023, before 4:30 p.m.
When will funds be awarded?
Grant awards will be approved at the December 2023 board meeting. The grant period for these awards will be February 2024 to January 2025; all funded activities must take place within the grant period.
Who can apply?
Both individuals and organizations are eligible to apply. The applicant must be:
- An artist working in dance, media arts, music, photography, poetry, prose, theater, or two-and three-dimensional visual art; or
- A culture bearer who has been trained by traditional elders or master artists and whose artistic practice is reflective of the cultural life of a community; or
- A 501(c)(3) tax-exempt arts organization; or
- A 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonarts organization that regularly offers arts programming as an integral part of its mission; or
- A unit of state, local, or tribal government; or
- An arts affiliate of a nonprofit organization or public entity; or
- An arts group without 501(c)(3) status applying with a Minnesota tax-exempt or public fiscal sponsor
An individual may submit an application in only one of the following programs in FY 2024: Creative Individuals, Arts Experiences, Arts Education, or Cultural Expression.
An organization may submit an application in only one of the following programs in FY 2024: Arts Experiences, Arts Education, Cultural Expression.
Additional eligibility requirements will be included in the FY 2024 Cultural Expression Program Overview and Application Instructions. Please review all eligibility requirements carefully before beginning an application.
Applicants may request between $5,000 - $35,000. No cash match is required.
Resources for applicants
Resources will be posted approximately eight weeks before the application deadline.
How to apply
Application method—All applicants are required to use the WebGrants system to apply and will submit all materials electronically. Registration is required of all applicants before beginning an application to any Arts Board program. It is only necessary to register once.
Two online tutorials are available to acquaint users with the WebGrants system: